H. D. Griswold
Hervey DeWitt Griswold was born in 1860 in New York.
He attended the Union Theological Seminary in New York before beginning his career as a missionary in Jhansi, India in the year 1890. He began teaching philosophy, English, and history at Forman Christian College in Lahore. He obtained his Ph.D in 1900 from Cornell University, and in 1910 he obtained his Doctor of Divinity. Griswold wrote about many Indian religions, and in particular wrote about Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, providing a critical analysis of his claims to be the Promised Messiah and Mahdi.Here are his three articles on our site:
- Mirza Ghulam Ahmad - The Mehdi Messiah of Qadian, by Rev. Hervey DeWitt Griswold (1902)
- The Messiah of Qadian (PDF, 1MB), by Hervey DeWitt Griswold (1905)
- The Ahmadiya Movement (PDF, 408 KB), by Hervey DeWitt Griswold (1912)
- Hervey DeWitt Griswold on Wikipedia
- Hervey DeWitt Griswold Papers at Columbia University Libraries